Victim's Rights

What compensation is available to victims of crime?

If you are the victim of a violent crime, or the survivor of a victim, you may be eligible for state compensation to cover medical expenses, psychological counseling, loss of earnings or funeral expenses caused by your victimization.

If you are a resident of Kansas, and the crime occurred within the last two years and you feel that you qualify for such assistance, please contact the Kansas Crime Victims Compensation Board at 785.296.2359.

How are witnesses called for trial?

Approximately two weeks before trial, you will receive a letter at your last known address. The letter contains information on when and where you need to appear. Please contact the Court Clerk or Legal Department immediately if you move or change your phone number.

What should I do if I receive a subpoena to testify?

Call 913.477.7620 one day before the trial date, or the morning of the date shown on your subpoena to verify your appearance. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The prosecutor will address your court appearance and answer any questions you might have regarding testifying.

May the witnesses remain in the courtroom before and after testifying?

As a witness, you may watch the proceedings unless the Judge excludes you from the courtroom. You should not discuss your testimony with any other witnesses.

What if the defense attorney contacts me about the case?

You may discuss the case with the defense attorney if you wish, but you should report the contact to the prosecutor.

What should I do if someone threatens me if I do not drop the charges?

Anyone who threatens you in connection with the case, either in or out of court, may be committing a crime. Immediately contact your local police department and report the threat. You should also report the incident to the prosecutor.

What happens if I change my mind and do not want to prosecute or testify?

Our community has a stake in prosecuting crime. Once a complaint is filed, it becomes the city’s case. As a victim, you can request that the city drop the charges, however, the prosecutor has the final say on whether a case should be dismissed. If you are reluctant about testifying, please discuss your concerns with the prosecutor.

For all other questions, please contact the City of Lenexa Legal Department at 913.477.7620.