Pet Licenses

puppy and kitten sleeping

You are required to license all dogs and cats age 6 months and older, within 10 days of the pet residing in Lenexa.  As a pet owner, you can have up to two dogs and/or two cats at your residence. If you would like to have more, you will need to apply for a special pet permit. We do not restrict animal ownership based on breeds.

Lenexa animal licensing ordinance

Licensing your pet:

  • Tells everyone that your pet is not a stray.

  • Helps reunite lost pets with their owners.

  • Allows it to receive emergency medical treatment from our Animal Control Officers if it is found injured.

  • Helps our officers protect your neighborhood from dangerous dogs and investigate dog bites.

Pet licenses

All dogs and cats over 6 months old must be licensed with the City. Licenses are for each calendar year and expire on Dec. 31 of each year, regardless of when you first owned the animal. If your pet received a three-year rabies vaccine, they are still required to be licensed annually. You will receive a renewal statement each November.

We use PetData for our animal licenses.

License your pet


  • Spayed or neutered dog or cat: $12 per year

  • Non-spayed or non-neutered dog or cat: $22 per year

  • Replacement tag: $2

Registration and renewal

  • Online - You will be asked to upload a copy of your pet’s current rabies vaccination certificate.

  • By mail - Print the PDF application and return it, along with a copy of your pet’s current rabies vaccination certificate to:


P.O. Box 141929

Irving, TX 75014

Special pet permit

If you have more than two dogs and/or more than two cats, you are required to have a special pet permit in addition to a license for each animal.


$100, plus the cost of licensing each animal. (Renewals cost $20 per year)

First-time registration

To apply for a special pet permit, you will need the following:

You can mail or bring your materials in-person to:

Lenexa City Hall
17101 W. 87th St. Pkwy.
Lenexa, KS 66219


  • In person at Lenexa City Hall.

Other animal permit applications